Want to receive FREE home improvements through the Low-Income Weatherization Program (LIWP)? Follow these 6 steps to a better home.
Find Out If You Qualify.
To qualify for free home improvements through LIWP, you must meet income qualifications and you must live in a neighborhood designated for community investment by the State of California (see below).
Make an Appointment.
If you are pre-qualified, your contact information will be shared with your local LIWP participating contractor. You will also be given their phone number if you prefer to call them first. The contractor will make an appointment to visit your home. Rest assured that these are experienced, licensed and bonded professionals who have been vetted and approved to participate in LIWP.
Have Your Documents Ready.
Your contractor will tell you what documents they need to verify your income or participation in another program like SSI or Medi-Cal. Please have these documents ready when the contractor visits—or you can send them to your contractor in advance.
Learn What Home Upgrades You Get.
On the first visit, your contractor will assess your home to find problems and
opportunities to save energy and money. He or she can then determine what home improvements you will receive at no cost; your home will likely qualify only for a package of several upgrades—not all the available upgrades. In many cases, the contractor can begin installing upgrades during this first visit, which typically takes several hours.
Schedule Any Additional Appointments.
Your contractor may require one or more additional visits to complete the job. The contractor will do everything they can to work around your schedule. Once the work is complete, your home may be selected for a Quality Inspection by the LIWP program administrator—to make sure that your home is safe and that the upgrades were installed properly.
Give Yourself a High Five!
You can now enjoy a more comfortable, energy-saving home that will also save you money each month. And you can feel good, knowing that you did your part to fight climate change and protect California’s environment
Do You Qualify for LIWP?
To qualify for LIWP home improvements at no cost, you must meet these requirements:
- House Type: Be a homeowner or renter in a single-family home or mobile home.
- Location: Be a California resident living in a community designated for investment by the State of California, because of its greater poverty, pollution, and health issues. A participating LIWP contractor can quickly determine if you live in an eligible community.
View this map to see the areas designated as “disadvantaged communities.”
- Income: Your income must not exceed 80% of your county’s Area Median Income. You may be asked to provide documentation of your income OR documentation that you participate in another low-income program.
You automatically meet the income eligibility requirements for LIWP if you already participate in one of these programs:
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Energy Savings Assistance (ESA) Program
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Medi-Cal for Families
- NSLP (National School Lunch Program)
- SNAP (Federal Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program)
- SSI (Supplemental Security Income)
- TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)
- Tribal Head Start
- Tribal TANF
- WIC (Women, Infants and Children)
What Is LIWP?
The Low-Income Weatherization Program (LIWP) helps homeowners and renters to lower their monthly utility bills and make their homes energy efficient and comfortable. LIWP was created by the California Department of Community Services & Development and funded by the California Climate Investments initiative. Participate in LIWP to improve your home, create jobs, and help California fight climate change!